Monday, July 19, 2010

Pass the Mayo

So I found out today that the month of July is supposed to be dedicated to those of us that are part of the "Sandwich Generation" - yippee!!  I'm a couple years short of being a full-fledged "Club Sandwich" -- those in their 50s or 60s sandwiched between aging parents, adult children and grandchildren.  I haven't heard anything about it so I'm guessing those of us who would be planning events around the month are too busy taking care of parents, kids, and grandchildren while trying to keep our own heads above water. 

I must not have enough mayo on my sandwich.  As soon as I get one layer of filling situated, then another falls out.   I finally got situated in a job that I can be happy with in a company that I'm very happy to be a part of and now my home life is falling apart. 

My mom needs some help with transportation to some medical appointments (nothing serious) but being two weeks in on a new job is not the time for me to be taking three or four hour breaks right now -- the training is intense!  My granddaughter is going through a phase -- that's the only explanation I have -- and is driving the house insane.  My daughter doesn't like despises having to live with me but for now I'm it.  Do not get me started on money.  Let's just say I need some.  My house needs some fixing up before I can even think about selling it, the brakes are squealing on my car and the dog needs her teeth cleaned. 

Don't misunderstand.  I consider myself extremely blessed and fortunate in my life but I'm so tired of juggling.  I think if all aspects of my life were balanced at the same time, I'd literally fall over. 

To my fellow sandwich generation members, I salute you.  I can't even begin to imagine how those who are dealing with a parent who is seriously ill manage.  It's a tough job.  Even tougher if you don't have a spouse, siblings, or have siblings near enough to help out.     

I'm thinking I don't want any more sandwiches.  I think I'd like a nice big salad ... all the ingredients tossed in a bowl and held together with a touch of blue cheese dressing. 

In the meantime, pass the mayo.  Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment