Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Independence Day - Gamma Style

WOW!  I can't believe it.  I actually escaped the job that I lovingly referred to as "Hell".  Friday was my official last day in the office but I delayed writing this post because my outstanding work ethic, need for cash, and the desire to leave a nan nana boo boo - damn she knew what she was talking about moment -- had me finishing up a data source they could use to load the Access database I saw the need for during my first month.  I emailed it early Sunday so I'm officially done. 

Last week was exciting because I knew as each day passed, I was closer to my Independence Day.  Friday I was just plain giddy with joy.  I actually skipped down the hall at one point.  No lie.

A lot of things were said last week that had me giving quite a few side-eyes but I let it pass because frankly I don't care.   I realized that people were going to say and think whatever they needed in order to rationalize my leaving in their mind.  Last week just confirmed what my body and my soul had been trying to tell me for months -- this was not a good fit.  I've tried to analyze what went wrong in the interviewing process.  What questions did I fail to ask and/or answer but then it dawned on me that wasn't my lesson from this experience.

My lesson was learning to trust my instincts again.  For reasons too numerous for a blog posting, I had really started to doubt myself over the past few years.  In a strange way, I believe the messages I was receiving from this job was a way for me to get back in touch with my gut.  With every WTH experience, I questioned myself rather than the bull-shiggity I could see around me.  It was as if the Universe was bound and determined to make me trust myself again.  I'm glad I listened.   

I don't mean to bash the company.  It's a very reputable company that's been in business a long time.  The employees, for the most part, are very dedicated and they deliver an outstanding product to the market.  The culture was just not a good fit for me at this stage in my life.

I started my new job today and I must say I got very positive vibes from the environment.  The employees are very busy but there's a positive energy flowing through the organization that I'm sure I'll thrive on.   The phrase "that's how we've always done it" is not acceptable and I get the impression they mean it.  I met a lady at the elevator who just celebrated her 18th anniversary.  Her unsolicited comment was you're going to be very happy here.  I believed her.  New ideas are welcomed and encouraged.  The Director of my new group made a point to repeat it in our orientation.   If the HR Department is representative of the rest of the company than I'm going to be very happy.  (Note to HR Staff -- NEVER, EVER underestimate your importance in setting the tone for new employees). 

This was truly an Independence Day for me.

Whew!

No comments:

Post a Comment